Monday, September 30, 2013

April's Fitness Journey: a Story of Resilience

Click to enhance size.
“It was embarrassing to say the least.” That’s how April describes her first training session with a trainer at her local gym; “I couldn't even hold a single pull-up position.” 

Growing up athletic and slim, her body changed following several pregnancies and a busy career. April’s weight had been on a roller coaster ride, continuously gaining and losing weight for 10 years; “I've followed countless diets and started various cardiovascular programs that helped me lose [weight], but then I would get distracted by life, lose sight of goals I would set and before I knew it I would have gained all the weight back and some;” an all too familiar story of many who aim to lose weight.

The mother of three teenagers had to act as she realized the impact it had on her life; “I had wanted change for a long time but it wasn't until seeing my mother’s health deteriorate because of her weight problems and my own inability to complete strength required tasks. For the first time the idea that I wanted to be strong not just slim came about.”

April weighed as much as 172 lbs standing at 5’4” with a dress size of 16. She attempted to consume diet pills and shake replacement meals, only to fall back on the same old path of eating convenient junk foods.

“I had quit so many times before I was definitely afraid of failing.”

April never gave into the fear of failure but something had to change.

The Turning Point

Click to enhance size.
The hard-working mother signed up for a local gym, which included an introduction session; “he [the trainer] booked a day to show me around and then accidentally double booked that appointment.” Luck had struck upon April as the trainer pushed her in the right direction, giving her a few lessons, showing her workouts while remaining available for guidance.

Motivation filled April as she became attracted to the fitness realm and the progress that followed; “Once I outgrew what he [the trainer] showed me I started doing a lot of online research. I would copy a routine down, watch the videos on how to and take it to the gym."



That initial spark paved the way for her as she became goal oriented and determined – key factors for a successful fitness journey; ”I’d do monthly goals; crunches, push ups, and miles I could run.“

“… I had a lot of experience in failing so when I started for my last time I decided I wasn't going to be a quitter.”

In doing so, April constantly progressed. Following a few months of eating healthy April had dropped to a size 13 while weighing in at 161 lbs by March of 2012. But that wasn't enough. As September, 2012, rolled around she was down to 135 lbs.

April made substantial life changes outside of the gym as well, which included avoiding fast food at all costs and preparing all meals prior to the start of the week.

She also committed an hour five or six times every week to exercise, regardless of outside influences; “as a mother it seems everyone else needs my time. I found it necessary to treat my workout time as if there was no other choice. I schedule it like I scheduled work.”

April signed up for local competitions to keep on track, continuing the trend of being goal-oriented. “. I took 2nd place in a workplace biggest loser competition.”

She even completed a 5K race in the spring – a remarkable achievement considering how far she had come from being unable to perform a single pull-up hold.

Even this successful weight loss story hit a few roadblocks as April struggled to keep focused, citing a lack of support from family and friends as main reasons, which turned her to the internet;

“I found the Fitfam! [#FitFam on Twitter] I can honestly say I owe a lot of my success to this social media family. It has connected me with so many others with similar goals and obstacles. It is nice to know there are others that appreciate the hard work and determination it takes to transform yourself. I find myself, often just before meals or gym time, browsing my FitFam timeline, soaking in the motivation.”

“ … I find myself working harder and lifting heavier to make my Fitfam proud.”

The Rewards have been life changing

Click to enhance size.
The idea of being strong, not just skinny, fueled her as she dropped from 135 lbs and a body fat percentage of 34 in the fall of 2012, to a staggering 20%, a size 2 while weighing 115 lbs at present time.

“…I switched my routine around to more weight lifting; that’s when I saw a major impact on my body’s shape and body fat % loss.”

Not only did her appearance improve, but her overall life changed dramatically; “It’s amazing how much more energy I have. My schedule is packed beyond belief but I don’t feel overwhelmed or exhausted. It’s like I finally have balance in my life and everything goes much smoother … my moods have improved tremendously; I feel like I’m truly a happier person.”


And the changes don’t go unnoticed; “I've had a few [people] who have asked for my help; that has been the greatest feeling.”

April’s Tips

The mindset of this inspiring fitness enthusiast is very clear; “Don’t quit.”

“Accept that it is not a temporary diet - that it is a lifetime commitment …find ways to keep yourself motivated.”

April recommends five or six smaller meals a day of lean meats, vegetables and fruit. She prepares all food over the weekend, making eating convenient and available whenever she needs it.

According to her, and many fitness gurus, research is vital; “research is imperative! I’m constantly switching things up, to find out what works for me.”

“Beware though, there are so many myths and different opinions out there; it can be very confusing.”

Setting new goals also keeps progress up; “It seems the closer I am to reaching a goal, another one takes shape. I just want more and more because I believe in myself and I want to prove I can do it.”

April also used the #FitFam as a way of being held accountable for her progress, thriving on their support; a great way to stay on track.

Try out April's current workout routine below

Start each work out session by doing a 10 minute warm up.

Click to enhance size.
Click to enhance size.

You can follow April's fitness journey on Twitter by clicking right here.



Read More

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I love these stories.
    Proof it can be done but it also says so much more about your "can and will do" character.
    The attitude to be fit is far more sexier than a great body itself.
    Kevin (@your_adonis, The Fit DILF)

    ReplyDelete